You know how it goes…time flies…when you are…having fun, preparing for Vacation Bible Camp, preparing for a big road-trip vacation, oh and getting ready for a new school year all at the same time! I looked back today and realized it’s been three weeks since I did a wrap-up post!
Here’s some of what we’ve been up to:
The week of July 29th we visit the Minnesota Zoo with friends from our co-op, and took a weekend camping trip in Clear Lake, Iowa with some old friends from our college days (and their three cute kids!):
The animatronic dinosaur exhibit at the zoo was a favorite on that outing, and a new bike carrier for our car led to a favorite on the camping trip — actually being able to take our bikes with us so we could take a bike ride with our friends!
A highlight from this week was a field trip today to Historic Fort Snelling, a site near us that is a fort that was recreated to be as it was in the 1820s, complete with costumed characters. The boys’ favorite was watching the soldiers doing their drills and shooting their guns. Miss M’s favorite was chatting with the cook in the kitchen and doing a scavenger hunt:
Here are a few other highlights of things we’ve been up to lately:
1. New books are arriving in the mail/UPS…but between Vacation Bible Camp at our church (which I am in charge of, so it is kind of time consuming), and our big vacation, we won’t be starting until the day after Labor Day, just like most public schools around here. I’ve updated our curriculum page with our picks for 2013-2014.
2. Watching bikers go by for a local 24 hour bike race
3. – 4. Helping out with making summer treats (mini popsicles and rhubarb crisp)
5. – 6. Having fun, laughing and playing
7. We actually played a math game this week (Corners) — not something we have done much of this summer!
8. Our National Night Out block party is always a top summer highlight. This year we had to wrap it up early, unfortunately, due to a sudden thunderstorm.
Whew,…that’s it for now. I’m looking forward to all our hard work with VBC coming to fruition next week, then relaxing and having fun on vacation.