This week’s “10 in 10 Blog Hop” topic from the iHomeschoolNetwork is “10 Totally Random Things on My Mind.” So for this week’s Top Ten Tuesday list, while I couldn’t bring myself to be totally random, here is a (sort of) totally random list of ten things that are on my mind as I get ready for a new school year.
1. I searched all over the internet for “Free American History Timeline Figures” and really didn’t find anything I liked. Miss M really wants a timeline with pictures, but I really didn’t want to buy an expensive package of timeline pieces. Then when I was searching for science clip art, what did I come across but…Clip Art Etc: A great source of free, educational clip art for history, science and more! This is a totally legit site from a university with a generous usage license – no ads or inappropriate content to worry about here! They have a very well organized set of American History clip art I’m excited to use for timelines and notebooking pages this year.
3….and wall-ah…a nearly-free timeline! I bought a timeline book last summer after being frustrated by the printer jamming when printing lots of cardstock pages, so not completely free. Now we have a new printer that probably wouldn’t jam, so I could print pages if wanted to. And I still have a blank timeline book we never used last year. But Miss M insists we do a timeline so I am motivated to make it work for us this year.
4. Moving on to science, I came up with a brilliant idea. We use Building Foundations of Scientific Understanding (BFSU) for science. It is a curriculum with a lot of strengths, but one of its strengths is not easy access to supplementary materials like printables, notebooking pages, example photos, videos, etc. Users are on their own to find such things. So I am thinking of putting the power of Pinterest to work and creating collaborative pin boards for BFSU users to make pins related to and labeled for each lesson. I just need to find the time to create them, add a few pins, and then hope that other BFSU users join in the work/fun to make it a good resource!
5. We don’t have a lot of geography plans yet for this year, other than looking at maps of the US at it relates to US History…Hmmm…I am thinking I might add in a few other geography plans.
6. After viewing historic planes last Saturday, my kids are totally fascinated with WWII-era aviation. We’ve watched two documentaries on netflix in the last two days. The kids keep asking me why we have to study American History “in order”. They want to skip right to WWII! We’ll do a little bit of side study of WWII to feed this interest while still keeping on track with the chronological plans I’ve laid out.
7. Will someone please remind me to put labels on our Ikea Trofast drawers we are using for all our school supplies/books? Thanks!
8. I just realized that the Half-Price books tent sale is this week…Yippee! I love buying books…I am going to try really hard to focus on books that will be useful for history and science studies. We need more random picture and chapter books like we need more holes in our heads… ;-) But I always make exceptions for the classics!
9. We have a table in our school room but it is like pulling teeth to get the boys to use it. Miss M has a desk in the school room that she uses most of the time. Sometimes she uses the table for crafts that take up too much space. But the boys always (or at least 90% of the time) chose to sit or lay on the floor to do crafts and color or draw. I’m tempted to get rid of the table. Except for the fact that Mr. E will need a place to do real school work pretty soon. Should I get him a desk? Make the table a lot lower so they don’t need chairs? Any advice?
10. We’re thinking about guitar lessons as a music option for our family this fall. A nearby park has a family guitar program where Tony can take lessons together with Miss M and Mr. E. I am really hoping this works out for us. It seems like a more realistic option right now than bringing a piano or keyboard into the house.
Hop on over to Top Ten Tuesday @ Many Little Blessings to see 10 Random Things that other bloggers have on their minds, and lots of other interesting top ten lists!